Venture through the heart of Italy's countryside, while staying in a luxury 4-star hotel, converted castle or agriturismo in Umbria. Experience private tastings at hidden wineries; savor rustic-style Tuscan and Umbrian feasts; and explore local farms, majestic hill towns, artistic treasures and more.
- Day 1 – Morning car pick-up in Rome, heading north to Orvieto, for a short tour of the city and a visit to a local winery for a tasting of all the typical wines of Umbria, along with cheeses and bruschetta. After the tasting, stop in the medieval city of Spoleto, famous for its fortress, tower bridge and Duomo set against a backdrop of Umbrian forest and sky. Then head to your accommodations to relax and settle in before a typical Umbrian dinner.
- Day 2 – Morning excursion to Cortona (setting for Under the Tuscan Sun). Free time during lunch, then visit to a local goldsmith workshop producing world-renowned jewelry made in the tradition of ancient Etruscans. In the afternoon, visit to Assisi and the magnificent Basilica di San Francesco, before taking part in a family-run cooking class and Umbrian feast in the nearby hills.
- Day 3 – Private guided excursion into the rolling hills of Tuscany, with visits to 1 or 2 towns such as Pienza (known for its sheep farms and pecorino cheese), Montalcino (home to the Brunello) and the walled-in medieval village of San Gimignano. Winery tour and tasting at an agriturismo (local farm) deep in the countryside, with a fine selection of Tuscan wines and regional delicacies. For dinner, a meal featuring rustic-style pizza in a family home or local pizzeria.
- Day 4 – Full-day tour into Umbria's Sibillini mountains and national park, for breathtaking views and an easy hike. Afterwards, stop for artisanal panini in the town of Norcia, a culinary epicenter in Umbria known for truffles, cheeses, wild boar and other local delicacies.
- Day 5 – After breakfast, head back to Rome, with a stop along the way in Montefalco (home to the Sagrantino grape and some of the best wines of Umbria) for a light lunch and tasting of local vino. If time and weather permit, quick afternoon stop either at Civita di Bagnoregio--a one-of-a-kind remote town with a striking position overlooking the Tiber River valley--or Cascata delle Marmore--Europe’s largest waterfall.
Group size: 8 people or less
Price: $2,980 per person with double room*
All packages include:
- Four nights accommodation in a 4-star hotel
- Daily food, wine and cultural excursions
- Five meals featuring regional specialities and local wines
- Three private winery tours and tastings
- One family-run cooking class
- Local guide, driver and ground transportation
- Pick-up and drop-off near center of Rome
- One special culinary experience (changing seasonally), such as pecorino-making at a Tuscan sheep farm, olive oil pressing and tasting, wine harvesting or truffle hunting
2013 Trip Dates:
- April 15-19 (SOLD OUT)
- May 8-12 (SOLD OUT)
- June 19-23
- September 18-22
- October 7-11
*Does NOT include airfare, traveler’s insurance, personal expenditures, or any meals, transfers or experiences not specified in the itinerary. For single room bookings, there is a supplemental fee of $450.